The Dynamic Genome (DG) Scholars group is funded in part by a Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant. This support is available to students who are enrolled in BIOL 20 through the CNAS Freshman Scholars Learning Communities program. USDA and HHMI grants and UCR matching funds support up to 25 stipends for rising sophomore graduates of the DG course. During the program students will:
- Conduct original research on plants, including citrus.
- Be introduced to the business of science and learn about careers for science majors at Keck Graduate Institute.
- Work in groups developing a business plan to market a new medical device or an engineered crop.
- Took Biology 20 within the last 2 years
- Must enroll at UCR for Fall quarter after summer research
- B- or better in Biology 20 for all students (if taken)
- B- or better in any of Bio 5A, 5B, or 5C (if taken)
- Overall GPA >= 3.0 for fall and winter quarters.
- Essay, 500 words max. Prompt, "How will you benefit from a summer research experience? Please discuss how it will help with future plans and/or overcome an obstacle(s) in the past."
- Candidates will be required to give an interview.